Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Gulliver's (Not So Interesting) Travels

Well hello there! It's been awhile since I last posted. And given that it's been awhile I'm assuming I should catch y'all up on my latest read (after all, this blog was created to track my reading life).

First things first, I finally picked out my AP novel! I've made the decision to read Jonathan Swift's classic novel Gulliver's Travels, which thus far has been a challenging read but I'll explain why later in this post. I also have gone through another broadway phase and after continuously listening to the musical Dear Evan Hansen and doing some crazy-fan research I've found that this amazing musical (that I HIGHLY recommend) was based off a book. Currently, I haven't been able to get a copy of the book, but hope to do so in the near future.


To my more "challenging" read. In short, Gulliver's Travels is about Lemuel Gulliver and how he travels to mystical lands where reality is just "slightly" tainted. Disclaimer: I'm still reading the first of the four parts within this novel and therefore not to far in so what I'm about to say may just because the book has a slow and long start. This has been a challenging read because, for the most part, Gulliver's Travels bores me. There's been a few good parts like where *spoiler* Gulliver is captured, released and takes the empire of Blesfuscu's boats *end spoiler* but besides that Swift just writes about so much unnecessary detail that the reader simply doesn't care about. For example "They [the people of Lilliput] bury their dead with their heads directly downwards; because...the earth will turn upside down, and by this means they shall, at their resurrection, be found ready standing on their feet"(56), now I love that Swift had such an imaginative mind to come up with something like this (don't get me wrong that's talent to come up with stuff like this from scratch), but as a reader who is looking for more of a plot, details like this seem to do more harm than good. And it's not as if it only one or two random tid-bits of information but it's pages of writing is dedicated to information that I couldn't care less about. And that is why I haven't enjoyed Gulliver's Travels. However, I still need to read the rest of the book and sadly cannot abandon it because I will need it for the final.

Sincerely,

Me



1 comment:

  1. While I read this blog,I wondered why you chose Gullivers Travel. I like that you expressed how you felt about the book. If you did not like your AP book you could read The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer which is a fantasy adventure book.

    ReplyDelete

Gulliver's (Not So Interesting) Travels

Well hello there! It's been awhile since I last posted. And given that it's been awhile I'm assuming I should catch y'all up...